Licensing the V-USB Driver
Using V-USB for Free
The firmware-only USB driver for AVR microcontrollers is published under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2 (GPL). See the file "License.txt" in the "usbdrv" subdirectory of any reference project for details. In addition to the terms and conditions of the GPL, we strongly recommend that you also do the following:
- Publish your entire project on a website and drop us a note with the URL. Use the Feedback Form for your submission. If you don’t have a web site to publish your project, we can host it in our Wiki.
- Adhere to minimum publication standards. Please include at least:
- a circuit diagram in PDF, PNG or GIF format
- full source code for the host software
- a Readme.txt file in ASCII format which describes the purpose of the project and what can be found in which directories and which files
- a reference to our website at https://www.obdev.at/vusb/
- If you improve the driver firmware itself, please give us a free license to your modifications for our commercial license offerings.
Commercial Licenses for V-USB
If the terms and conditions of the GPL are unsuitable for you, e.g. because you don’t want to publish the source code of your firmware, you can simply pay money for a commercial V-USB license. As an additional benefit you get USB PIDs for free, dedicated exclusively to you. For detailed terms and conditions please download the latest version of V-USB and check the file "CommercialLicense.txt". We offer the following licenses:
- Hobby License: Primarily for people who originally intended to use the free license, but find it too tedious to prepare the publication, or people who need a dedicated USB Product ID. This license allows you to build up to 5 units of your design for non-commercial purposes. It comes with one VID/PID pair licensed exclusively to you.
- Entry Level License: For up to 150 units, including one VID/PID pair licensed exclusively to you.
- Professional License: A virtually unlimited license (fair use), including two VID/PID pairs licensed exclusively to you. You may use this license to produce any number of units, as long as you don’t get into the Big Business (less than about 10,000 units).
|V-USB Hobby License
|V-USB Entry Level License
|V-USB Professional License